[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hair Falling Out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sunshine Offline

Group: Members
Female
Posted: Feb. 10 2007,18:21 QUOTEQQ

Quote (kyladance @ Feb. 08 2007,13:06)
Just an FYI...when I had lost my hair during the first portion of my weight loss I was scared as heck!  I got a referral to a dermatologist who specialized in hair loss.  He told me that hair loss due to weight loss, if it occurs, will be 4 months after you start.  Also he said that when your hair falls out look at the base of it, if there is a root (a small white ball on the end) it means the hair will grow back.  If no root, then that hair shaft is dead.    Thankfully mine all had roots, trust me I must have examined every hair that fell out lol.  Hope this is helpful

I was on the diet July, Aug, Sep, Oct of 2006 and I definitely started having my hair fall out. I have very thick hair and tons of it - so I wasn't stressed about it (thought of it as a free thinning! LOL) but I still knew it was my body telling me something. Interesting that you found out it occurs after 4 months. That is exactly what happened with me! I took a break in November and December and I stopped losing hair. Now I'm back on the program and I haven't been losing hair like I was before. I would brush my hair and the brush would just be full of hair. This happened to me before after I had babies. For months afterwards my hair would fall out like crazy. The doctor told me at that time that it was hormones. When I told the Dr at the Dr B clinic that I was losing hair she said I probably wasn't...which I thought was ridiculous. She also said that if I was in fact losing hair the hair that grew in would be healthier. I wish I would have known about the fish oil supplements for that. I would have tried it. As it was, taking a break seemed to do the trick. I felt like my body was feeling stressed. Maybe it was all in my head...but all I know is I took a two month break and things are back to normal now.

--------------

July - Oct 31, 2006 - was on the program and lost 45 pounds (down to 194)

Gained some back and so now I'm back at it as of Jan 19!
Profile PM 
Hoops Offline

Female
Posted: Feb. 26 2007,12:03 QUOTEQQ

I too started losing hair dramatically after 4 months (plugging the drain after a shower loss  :( ).  I checked out the forum and found out about Biotin, which I just started last week (haven't tried the shampoo).  The pharmacist indicated it likely would be a month before I'd see the results.  Another thing she mentioned was that we need at least 2 tbsp of fat/oil a day in order to absorb fat soluable vitamins (such as A).  She pointed out that lack of some of the fat soluable vitamins and minerals could also explain the hair loss.  Haven't had a chance to ask about that, but I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday so I'll ask then.

I have been on 3-6-9 since January (my chiropractor recommended it), so it hasn't helped me, but then I wasn't told not to take it with other supplements and I've stuck to the single tablet as that's all that is on the approved list.  I'll try taking it at different times and see if that helps.  

I am close to my goal, so I have started adding a bit of virgin olive oil when I cook (since talking with the pharmacist).  My body had reverted to famine mode (I've been in that state for decades) so I needed to up my food intake anyway (I'm essentially on the maintenance diet and losing weight again after almost 2 months of stasus).  Seems to be helping, but not sure if I weren't close to maintenance if I would try it.  We'll see what the doctor says.

Has anyone else heard we don't get enough fat?

Thanks for the info all!  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Hoops Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 02 2007,15:13 QUOTEQQ

Oaky, here's the scoopl from my doctor.  She says that the hair loss is quite common and totally reversable once you've completed the diet.  That is, as long as you're not prone to permanent hair loss already.  What she indicated was the low fat/low cal combo actually causes the hair to go through its normal cycle more quickly (essentially because it isn't quite as healthy as it would be otherwise).  I was told this was direct from Dr. Bernstein.  There is, according to the doctor, only a small percentage of dieters that lose at the rate I do.  Most find loss is increased, but not enough to be noticable.  

The remedy.  Omega 3-6-9, which we already knew, and wait until you're done the dier.  Even then, she indicated it would likely be 3-4 months before the improvement will be noticable.  Interesting that it takes about the same amount of time to reverse as it does to "start".

Biotin will help if you're actually low in B7.  The shampoo will help thicken the hair and make it less likely to break off.  Hot oil treatments can help too, but may cause your weight loss to slow down as some of the oil may be absorbed through the skin.  A good conditioner and shampoo less often to let the natural oils accumulate.  

No magic bullet except to get to your goal weight and watch it come back.   :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
BrianB Offline
Site Founder
Dr. B Centurion

Long Term Maintainer 

Group: Super Administrators
Height: 5' 10"
Male
Posted: Mar. 02 2007,20:15 QUOTEQQ

Hoops.  Thanks so much for the followup on this.  This is great information.  I'm going to link to it in Q7 of the Dieter's FAQ and update the answer a little based on what you've posted here.

Thanks!!!!!!!

--------------
Being 100% strict is for losers! You want to be a loser don't you?
If you're new to the diet, be sure to check out Question #16 of the Dieters FAQ. It might help save you some needless worry.
American College of Sports Medicine - Certified Personal Trainer
ACE Certified Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant
Profile PM WEB 
julia hulia Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 05 2007,19:20 QUOTEQQ

Does anyone know where you can find Nioxin in Toronto? Can you get it at Shoppers?

--------------

Started Feb 22, Lost ~27lbs in Feb-April
Went off diet in Apr/May/June, regained ~10
Restarted June 29 at 232.2
Profile PM 
kyladance Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 05 2007,19:25 QUOTEQQ

The Dr. said I could get it at supercuts or first choice hair-cutter.  I also think you can get it at the Beauty Supply outlet.  I have also seen it on e-bay

--------------
Profile PM 
julia hulia Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 05 2007,19:30 QUOTEQQ

Thank you kyladance!

--------------

Started Feb 22, Lost ~27lbs in Feb-April
Went off diet in Apr/May/June, regained ~10
Restarted June 29 at 232.2
Profile PM 
36 replies since Jan. 03 2007,01:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic :: New Posts ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >
reply to topic new topic new poll

Quick Reply: Hair Falling Out
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code