reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Questions before starting!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jessica Offline

Group: Members
Height: 5' 3"
Female
Posted: Mar. 01 2015,16:06 QUOTEQQ

Hello everyone,

I have been reading a bunch of the posts on the forum and I have found so much good information. I am very seriously considering starting the diet in two weeks (I need to write my midterms first and give myself time to prepare this life change) but I have some questions and concerns about the diet. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond to any of the questions below.

1) I am 31 and have been overweight since childhood. I hear many success stories about people who were a healthy weight most of their life and then gained weight due to health reasons or a life circumstance and have been successful with Dr. Bernstein. I am wondering if there's anyone who has been overweight most of their life and have lost the weight and kept it off with the Dr. Bernstein Diet?

2) Any advice for the first week? I've gone through sugar/caffeine withdrawal before and find after a couple days I have 24-48 hours where I literally feel like my world is ending. I am not looking forward to that feeling again and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help better manage the first week?

3) I am an emotional eater. Does anyone else who was/is an emotional eater have any suggestions for managing their "emotional cravings" while on the diet? I know this will be my biggest struggle. Physical hunger pains don't bother me half as much as "emotional cravings".

4) The Dr. Bernstein website claims that the diet can help people with migraines. I've been diagnosed with chronic migraines and I take a daily medication for it plus I see my neurologist for botox injections every 3 months. Has anyone experienced a reduction or increase in migraines while on the Dr. Bernstein diet?

5) I am sensitive to FODMAPs especially gluten and lactose. I have already eliminated 99% of gluten from my diet and only eat small amounts of low lactose dairy. I notice the diet includes bread and some dairy, will I be able to customise the diet?

6) I agree with the low carb part of the diet but I have concerns about the low fat part of the diet. Healthy fats (including healthy saturated fats) are needed for optimal brain function, to absorb fat soluble vitamins, and numerous other health reasons/functions. How does the diet address this?

7) I already have very fine hair and nails that split and peel. I am a little worried about losing hair and my nails getting worse. Is there something I can do now so that I don't run into problems once I'm on the diet (like start biotin or New Look)?

8) I am curious about energy levels... How did you find your energy levels were on the diet? Did they fluctuate? Did you notice any cognitive changes (i.e. did you find you were able to think clearer or less clearly?)

9) Did you exercise while you were on the diet?

10) How long are the visits to the clinic? Did you find the staff helpful or did you feel like they were just trying to sell a product?

11) Any tips, hints, or tricks for successfully losing weight on the diet and keeping the weight off?

:) Thanks!

--------------
Profile PM 
laluna14 Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2015,18:06 QUOTEQQ

Hi Jessica,
Good for you for thinking about starting and doing research and asking questions. I did that a lot too when I was starting as I was very apprehensive and wanted to make an informed choice. I've only been doing this for a month. So there is a lot I still don't know and I can only provide you with my experience and bear in mind it's only been a month.

I've been overweight since I was about 13 years old and so far it's been working for me. I've tried numerous other diets, working out etc. and been yo-yoing for years. I don't know if it's something that will be sustainable for me but I certainly hope so! At least it is teaching me to really think about portions and ingredients and things like drinking lots of water.

I had a big issue with giving up caffeine and alcohol and it's still something I am trying to cope with. The first week was difficult for me, I won't lie. The first two days I had bad headaches and felt very hungry and low energy. I attribute most of that to caffeine withdrawal but probably also some sugar/carb withdrawal too. By the third day the headaches were gone. I would say into the second week was when I started feeling better and not feeling hungry. I still struggled with energy until they recently switched my type of potassium to a type called K-lyte. Since then I find that I feel fine in terms of energy and do not feel hungry. I still get cravings from time to time of course.

The way I deal with that is similar to emotional eating. It comes up a lot. I guess what keeps me from giving in to it is that I have a lot of Dr. B foods on hand and also tea. Tea has been my life saver, lol. Whenever I feel like I have a craving I make a cup of tea, or I have a glass of water and it usually goes away. Drinking a big glass of water before eating seems to help me feel more full too. Or I try to distract myself by going for a walk or focusing on some kind of task. I also focus on the fact that I'm paying a lot of money and investing a lot of time and effort into this and don't want to set myself back. Even a few bites of the wrong food can do that so I just try not to go there.

I believe that on the food list there are options for gluten-free bread substitutes and also lactose free cheeses and other substitutes such as almond milk or soy milk.

In terms of healthy fats and concerns over hair loss and weak nails, I started to have the issue with all my nails getting really soft and breaking so I asked at the clinic and started taking an Omega 3 supplement they sell there called Bari-Efa. They also recommended I take a tsp a day of something called Udo's 3-6-9 oil which I use in salad dressing. I am finding so far it seems to be helping.

I did want to address cognitive function because this is something I do worry about and I find there are a few times I have felt very spacey and also forgotten things a few times. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the diet but wondered if anyone else experienced things like this? Maybe it is the fact that I find there is so much to keep on top of with the diet and the rest of my life that I'm getting forgetful.

I used to exercise 3 - 4 times a week pre-diet including yoga, Pilates, and cardio at the gym. I have stopped doing the cardio since starting the diet because I simply find I don't have the stamina for it. I was told if you exercise vigorously to eat an extra protein serving that day. I still do yoga and Pilates but find it harder than I did before but for me I find it's important to continue with some kind of exercise. Also taking a lot of walks.

After the first couple of times the visits are usually quite brief, about 15 minutes for me. You weigh in and then the nurse takes you to a room where she goes over your diet sheet and asks how you are generally, then gives you the injection, then tests your urine and that's about it. There are a couple of nurses at my clinic that are very abrupt and not friendly at all, in fact downright rude who really turned me off at first. As I've kept going I've found that one of them softened up but one of them is still rude. There are a few there that are really quite sweet and overall I would say they are welcoming and helpful. There are probably going to be one or two rude ones at your clinic but I guess that just seems to come with the territory. I remember I asked one nurse a question about whether the needle would hurt in my abdomen and she snapped "I've never done the diet so I don't know." What kind of answer is that? But anyway I don't want to deter you because there are some nice nurses out there. The doctor at my clinic is also quite perfunctory and to the point. Now I just go through with the exercise and just get out of there with the doctor within 10 - 15 minutes. I've never been pushed to buy anything at the clinic I go to or to continue on wit the program so I don't feel like they are doing any kind of sales job. I did find the first consultation very overwhelming though with all the information and had to go away and think about it for a while, just so you are forewarned hehe.

As for tips and tricks well my advice at this stage is to really carefully read the manual and food list and be sure you understand how much you are allowed of each category each day and also make sure you follow it to the letter including weighing all your food. I had a hard time getting the hang of all of it at first and not following the diet has caused me to lose weight more slowly.

Well I guess that is all I can share for now. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Jessica Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 01 2015,19:55 QUOTEQQ

Thanks for the response Laluna and congrats on the weight loss! How long after the first consultation did you start the diet? I'm trying to figure out when I should make an appointment. I know I don't want to start the diet until after March 14th but I'd like to make sure I have everything ready for when I do start.

Oh and one other question I have is: Are the injections subcutaneous or intramuscular and what types of vitamins/supplements are recommended/required?

--------------
Profile PM 
laluna14 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2015,00:13 QUOTEQQ

Thanks for the encouragement Jessica! I think my first visit for the consultation took about an hour and a half. They spend quite a lot of time going over everything with you and going through the questionnaire you fill out. There is definitely an opportunity then to ask all of your questions. I think I was kind of in shock and just didn't think I could really go through with it after the initial consultation. I just didn't realize quite how strict it would be. They wanted me to start that day and get the injection but I really needed a day to think about it. I went back in the next day and decided to start and got the injection. They advised me to eat sensibly but not in the diet for the first two days so I didn't really start for two days after. One good thing is that you get one week free. But I agree, you should be ready to start as it is quite a commitment. I remember that weekend I went and spent quite a lot of time shopping and making sure I had my pantry and fridge stocked so I would be prepared too. I am afraid I don't know about the injections. Hopefully BrianB will chime in here as he is a wealth of knowledge and has been super helpful. :)

I have been taking a multivitamin, potassium tablets and the Bari-Efa omega 3 pills. One thing I found is it is very important to take these every day at the specified time particularly the potassium.

--------------
Profile PM 
Jessica Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 02 2015,23:42 QUOTEQQ

Thanks Laluna. I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond. If they'll let me I would like to have my consultation about a week before I start. Do they give you the food list during the consultation? I'm a planner and I want to get things ready at home including getting my fridge stocked before I start to optimize my success.

Do you have to purchase the supplements on top of the regular prices or are they included?

--------------
Profile PM 
laluna14 Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2015,02:44 QUOTEQQ

Yes, they give you the food list at the consultation and go over it with you. I was told though when I wanted to go away and think about it that I couldn't take any of the materials with me until I had signed up.

You have to pay for the supplements on top of the program fees. They are not too expensive considering the prices you would pay in the store. But it can start to ad up!

Edited by laluna14 on Mar. 03 2015,23:47

--------------
Profile PM 
Jessica Offline

Female
Posted: Mar. 03 2015,13:32 QUOTEQQ

Thanks so much Laluna!

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 01 2015,16:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic :: New Posts ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Quick Reply: Questions before starting!
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code