» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A valuable skill I learned on this diet, The mindset of food "budgeting"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BrianB Offline
Site Founder
Dr. B Centurion

Long Term Maintainer 

Group: Super Administrators
Height: 5' 10"
Male
Posted: June 08 2007,06:13 QUOTEQQ

I'm pretty sure I made up the term "food budgeting" just now, but that's the best way to describe it.

Before the diet I pretty much ate what I wanted, when I wanted, in whatever quantity I wanted, and didn't really give much thought to whether or not I needed it, or what that food was going to do to me.  Don't misunderstand, it's not that I didn't comprehend diet and nutrition, I just didn't care.

One of the really valuable, perhaps the most valuable skill I learned on this diet, came from the way Dr. B handles the food budgeting.  You're given a daily budget of so many proteins, so many vegetables, so many fruits, etc., and throughout the day, you "spend" that budget by consuming foods.  The proteins are special, you can only "spend" so much at one time, and you have to wait at least 4 hours between proteins (kind of like an allowance that you have to wait to get before you can spend it), but the rest of your food allocation is like money in the bank -- you can spend it when you like, but once it's gone, you're done (once you've used up your budget you can't spend/eat any more).  

Just like money, you can "go into debt" with food too.  Going into debt with food is when you eat more than you're budgeted.  Just as debt has consequences with money, it has consequences with food.  When you "borrow" against your food budget, your debt is stored as fat on your body.  Then you carry that debt around and service the debt until it is gone.  If you're like me, I was carrying so much "food debt" from years and years of "borrowing" that the weight of my debt was going to kill me.

Just like money, in order to get out of debt, you have to forego some spending.  By doing Dr. B and establishing a new food budget (one that was less than my actual daily caloric needs) I was able to work down my debt.  Sure I had to sacrifice along the way, but that's the price you pay for all the overindulgence that got you into debt to begin with.

The important thing is that I now view my daily food consumption as a finite, budgeted thing.  I now have the mindset that if I decide to have a salad now, that's fine, but the balance of my food budget left for the rest of the day is reduced -- a trade has been made -- present consumption in exchange for less budget remaining.  With this mindset, as I make food choices during the day, I'm constantly assessing "if I eat this now, do I have enough left in the budget to comfortably get me through the day".

I believe this is exactly where you should hope to be by the time you reach your goal weight.  You want to be constantly mindful that with the freedom to make your food choices comes the responsibility to "spend" wisely and use your daily budget smartly throughout the day so that it isn't all spent by mid-afternoon and you end up "borrowing" to get you through the day.

Now that I'm on maintenance, I have a bigger daily budget than I did on the strict diet -- but I have still set a well-defined daily budget so that I concretely know when I'm "out of funds" for the day (and therefore can do no more consumption).  This has worked very very well for me so far, and I hope this mindset/concept is helpful to some of you.

Spend wisely!

--------------
Being 100% strict is for losers! You want to be a loser don't you?
If you're new to the diet, be sure to check out Question #16 of the Dieters FAQ. It might help save you some needless worry.
American College of Sports Medicine - Certified Personal Trainer
ACE Certified Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant
Profile PM WEB 
debra Offline

Group: Members
Female
Posted: June 08 2007,08:35 QUOTEQQ

Very well put. I have come to the same conclusions, Brian. And co-incidently, I am also taking better care of my actual finances too.

When the Dr. was talking about gylcogen deficits and so on, it reminded me so much of my banker!

--------------
Strictly Speaking.
deb
Profile PM 
Zaftig Mermaid Offline

Female
Posted: June 08 2007,15:09 QUOTEQQ

Brian, thank you. You're incredible.

--------------
Profile PM 
karin Offline

Female
Posted: June 08 2007,17:36 QUOTEQQ

Thanks Brian,
Your analysis struck a chord with me........from now I will think of my intiake as my food budget

--------------

Lost approx 50 lbs from Feb 2007-June 2007
Went on maintenance in June 2007 at 125lbs
Back on the strict diet effective 2nd Feb 2008
Profile PM 
gracie68 Offline
Dr. B Centurion

Female
Posted: June 08 2007,20:21 QUOTEQQ

Well said Brian (as usual) :)

Since I am so money oriented this is a great way for me to think.  I do my $$$$ budget the same way - and will apply this to my food budget as well.

Thanks

Gracie

--------------
Profile PM 
nickster Offline

Female
Posted: June 08 2007,20:33 QUOTEQQ

Quote (BrianB @ June 08 2007,06:13)
Now that I'm on maintenance, I have a bigger daily budget than I did on the strict diet -- but I have still set a well-defined daily budget so that I concretely know when I'm "out of funds" for the day (and therefore can do no more consumption).  This has worked very very well for me so far, and I hope this mindset/concept is helpful to some of you.

Spend wisely!

I believe I can totally relate to this mindset/concept Brian! Thanks....very helpful!
Here's to "spending wisely" (Raising my bottle of water as a toast - heheheehe)  :thankspin:

--------------

Nicole
Height 5'-2.5"

May 9th - July 30th Lost 30 lbs.
Profile PM 
oakville2 Offline

25% of Goal loss complete 

Height: 5' 3"
Female
Posted: June 08 2007,21:15 QUOTEQQ

Brian, you just have such good common sense!!!  I think I have good common sense in all the other areas of my life except this one - Food - but I'm trying!!  I think I posted last year on the old "bad" forum about how my sister just uses good judgement with food.  She doesn't really think of food budgeting on a daily basis but more on a weekly basis.  If she has had a few days of over-indulging she simply just cuts back for the next 3 or 4 days - simple eh.  A no-brainer but when you throw in emotional issues for eating etc. it gets more complicated.  My goal is to have that simple view of food - fuel for the body, budgeting on a daily or every few days routine with the odd indulgence.  If the emotional issues creep in, I will seek counselling or maybe you should set up a 1-800-call Brian hotline!!! :)

--------------

Oakville2

Never give up!!
Profile PM 
JessieB Offline

Height: 5' 4"
Female
Posted: June 20 2007,17:32 QUOTEQQ

That puts a lot of things into perspective ... thanks Brian :)

ps - I afree with the Brian hotline! :lol:

--------------

Originally started the diet in May 2007. Got down to 201 and got off track.  Had a tonne of trouble getting back on track. A month into being completely focused I found out I was pregnant!!! Had my sweet little angel in June 2009 and started all over again in Febuary 2010.  This time I got down to 186 but when I looked in the mirror all I saw was the fat me.  I couldn't *see* the weight loss.  Needless to say, fell off the bandwagon all over again.  Here I am again at my highest weight yet.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 20 2007,17:59 QUOTEQQ

Great analogy, Brian!  

Thank you for all your insightful posts...

-Lisa99
ajsutter Offline

Female
Posted: June 20 2007,20:00 QUOTEQQ

That's definitely a great analogy.  It's really amazing how simple it is when we've all been making it so complicated before Dr. B!!

--------------

aj sutter

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.  Anatole Franer

Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better.  Sydney J. Harris
Profile PM 
20 replies since June 08 2007,06:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic :: New Posts ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >
reply to topic new topic new poll

Quick Reply: A valuable skill I learned on this diet
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code