» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Artificial sweeteners can make you hungry, Good to know...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ms. Maniac Offline

50% of Goal loss complete 

Group: Members
Height: 5' 0"
Female
Posted: Aug. 09 2009,23:58 QUOTEQQ

Hi all,

I was websurfing today and found a video of Jillian Michaels showing a woman around Time Magazine's cafeteria and telling why some food choices are better than others. I had pretty much learned most of what she was saying already but when she said to avoid diet drinks I thought that was really interesting. She said they stimulate the release of Neuropeptide Y (NPY), and that makes you hungry and creates cravings.

I've since done some reading online and am learning a bit about it. Without getting long winded, I'll sum up a few points as I understand them.

NPY is the neurotransmitter that ultimately signals you to crave carbs. It releases corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH). In higher amounts you will not only feel hungrier, but your energy level will drop, and you may experience some depression. NPY also triggers your body TO STORE GLYCOGEN. Y'know, that stuff that we are trying to burn off with this diet we're on!

I had started to resort to the occasional diet drinks, though I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners, but this makes me think twice, for sure. The only thing I haven't found out is what amount of the sweeteners it takes to start causing these effects. If someone out there knows the answer I'd like to hear it.

I think you'll be ok if you treat it like many other foods and drinks: DON'T OVERDO THEM.

If you're interested in seeing that video you can see it here.

If you'd like to read about the more complex science behind it you can read it at wikipedia and Ask Dr. Sears.

Cheers!
Profile PM 
Chelle Offline

75% of Goal loss complete 

Group: Moderators
Posted: Aug. 10 2009,06:45 QUOTEQQ

Thanks for the info Ms. M.

One thing I discovered last week was that Crystal Light gives me terrible heartburn.  It took some process of elimination to figure out what was doing it, but as soon as I stopped drinking it, the problem went away.  In doing some research on it, I've read that many people have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners (particularly Aspartame) and don't realize it.  I was never much of a pop drinker (diet or otherwise) so I never really noticed it until now.

Good info to know!

--------------
Profile PM 
Becky Offline

25% of Goal loss complete 

Height: 5' 6"
Female
Posted: Aug. 10 2009,07:44 QUOTEQQ

That is excellent info to have. It's interesting that you were researching that yesterday. I spent 6 hours on the web, researching info on Candida Albicans. I started with symptoms "down there" yesterday. I started to learn that it could be systems caused by too much aspartame. I've been drinking Crystal Light, diet soda's and 1 coffee, 1 decaf coffee per day, all with aspartame. I will cut that out as of today. Also, the caffeine (including decaf coffee) is a trigger for candida growth. However, the most likely cause of my symptoms I think, is what is called "die off." Because of the low carb diet, the candida cells/toxins in your body literally die off from starvation. It can take up to 6 weeks of a completely proper diet, to rid your body of all these toxins. It's interesting stuff. The bottom line is though, that I literally do not have a single vice left! Pre Dr. B I was in love with my wine daily, and well as my latte's. On strict, I've enjoyed a cup of coffee. Now, it'll just be me and some peppermint tea! :(

--------------
Profile PM 
Ms. Maniac Offline

50% of Goal loss complete 

Height: 5' 0"
Female
Posted: Aug. 10 2009,11:37 QUOTEQQ

I should start drinking caffeine free tea, also. I have the occasional medium timmy's decaf with milk but have been having a couple of diet sodas per day. I'll probably do that till I'm out of my cans of pop but will really reduce that afterwards. Artificial sweeteners aren't the perfect alternative...if it sounds too good to be true, then...

I'm glad y'all liked the info!
Profile PM 
Arasara Offline

25% of Goal loss complete 

Female
Posted: Aug. 10 2009,12:05 QUOTEQQ

ewwww I do'nt like reading stuff like this *says she who is absolutely addicted to artificial sweetners!*  :lol:

It sure is interesting, huh?  I've recently cut some of my crystal light out of my diet and am trying to be better about pop. I usually have 1 diet soda/day.

Thanks for the info (even if I don't want to hear it!  :whistling2: )  :lol:

--------------
Profile PM 
KristenLT Offline

Height: 5' 6"
Female
Posted: April 13 2018,09:17 QUOTEQQ

Not only do artificial sweeteners cause cravings, in someone such as myself, they cause water retention and edema. I have narrowed down my plateau to the increase in things artificial such as crystal light, diet rootbeer, protein bars and splenda. I also think that dairy is playing an issue. So, for the next 3 days until weigh-in, I am going to cut out all processed foods and drinks as well as dairy and see if the scale has moved by Monday. I have a feeling this is the culprit as I have been burning but no scale movement so I think I am filling my fat cells with water. yuck

I would much rather give up artificial sweeteners and dairy than fruit. I also despise the taste of stevia so I will have to learn to go along with natural sweetness of nothing.

--------------

Starting all over April 2, 2018   282.4

Strict Adherence Rewards                    Weight Loss

45 days-kayak                                      45lbs-Jewelry or New bike
90 days-New Bicycle                           85lbs-trip to a beach/Iceland
135 days- weekend away                 100lbs-new clothes
180 days-slab roller                          140lbs-GOAL-Go nuts without Bankruptcy
200 days-pottery shopping spree

Profile PM 
5 replies since Aug. 09 2009,23:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic :: New Posts ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Quick Reply: Artificial sweeteners can make you hungry
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code