» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Behaviour of Fat Cells, They are stubborn little b's< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ada Offline
Chief of Staff
Long Term Maintainer 

Group: Super Moderators
Height: 5' 4"
Female
Posted: June 25 2008,08:57 QUOTEQQ

To encourage all those who remain 110% strict and don't see the scales move, here is a biologist's take on fat cell behaviour which was posted some time ago by a member.
A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.
The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.
However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

So take heart all.....it seems a sometimes non -moving scale or a scale moving in the opposite direction is inevitable in the larger picture of our weight loss journeys.....and also explains those periodic whooshes after a "rest" period.

--------------

Week 1:  -5.0
Week 2:  -2.5
Week 3:  -2.0
Week 4+5:  +.5 Temp. Maint
Week 6:  - 3.5
Week 7:  - 2.0
Week 8:  0 Temp. Maint
Week 9:  -4.0
Profile PM 
Paula Offline

75% of Goal loss complete 

Group: Moderators
Height: 5' 2"
Female
Posted: June 25 2008,09:16 QUOTEQQ

Thank you Ada!! As one of those who have struggled with the lack of speed, I really appreciate this!!

--------------

Working, Believing, Succeeding
Profile PM 
Shilps Offline
Dr. B Centurion

Posted: June 25 2008,13:03 QUOTEQQ

This is going to be printed and kept by my scale as I know the last 10lbs worth of fat cells are going to be the most stubborn little things ever!!

Thank you Ada!!

Shilps :)
Profile PM 
deb_109 Offline

Group: Members
Female
Posted: July 28 2009,08:54 QUOTEQQ

Quote (Ada @ June 25 2008,08:57)
To encourage all those who remain 110% strict and don't see the scales move, here is a biologist's take on fat cell behaviour which was posted some time ago by a member.
A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.
The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.
However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

So take heart all.....it seems a sometimes non -moving scale or a scale moving in the opposite direction is inevitable in the larger picture of our weight loss journeys.....and also explains those periodic whooshes after a "rest" period.

Just found this again...lol Makes me feel better when the scale
doesn't move

--------------

1 month 24.4 lbs
Profile PM 
JennyGump777 Offline
Dr. B Centurion
Started Dr. B Maintenance 

Height: 5' 7"
Female
Posted: July 28 2009,09:09 QUOTEQQ

I agree...that was nice to read this morning.
Good reminder through all of the frustration of staying strict and not getting "instant" results....that something is going on, somewhere....we just have to be patient, which is easier said than done!  :stick:

--------------

I DID IT!
I lost 105.8 lbs in 7 months on Dr.B.
Start:  Jan 12, 2009  259 lbs
Maintenance: August 19, 2009  153.2 lbs
Ultimate goal: 145 lbs...in as long as it takes me to get there!

You can do this too!
Profile PM 
Jan68 Offline
Centurion
Long Term Maintainer 

Height: 5' 7"
Female
Posted: July 28 2009,09:26 QUOTEQQ

Thanks for finding this post again, and thanks Ada for originally posting it....needed to read that this morning!

--------------
Profile PM 
deb_109 Offline

Female
Posted: July 28 2009,09:38 QUOTEQQ

Yes, Thank you Ada ... When I read it this morning I thought a few
of us needed a little reassurance.  Also it's nice knowing that things are working
and were not alone in this journey

--------------

1 month 24.4 lbs
Profile PM 
Ms. Maniac Offline

50% of Goal loss complete 

Height: 5' 0"
Female
Posted: July 28 2009,12:52 QUOTEQQ

This is very interesting! Thanks for the info!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Andie Offline

Female
Posted: Feb. 10 2016,13:07 QUOTEQQ

Just bumping this up to remind myself (and anyone else) not to get discouraged by the number on the scale.

--------------
Profile PM 
KristenLT Offline

Height: 5' 6"
Female
Posted: Feb. 13 2016,18:51 QUOTEQQ

Quote (Andie @ Feb. 10 2016,13:07)
Just bumping this up to remind myself (and anyone else) not to get discouraged by the number on the scale.

Thanks. I hadn't seen this before. Good read.

--------------

Week 1:-7.4                Week 5:                     Week 9:
Week 2:                      Week 6:                     Week 10:
Week 3:                      Week 7:                     Week 11:
Week 4:                      Week 8:                     Week 12:

Month 1:                     Month 2:

Total Loss: 20.6 lbs Since January 2016 Restart. 32.6 lbs Lost since March 8, 2015

Goal 1: 199 - Just want to be out of the 200's
Goal 2: 180 - Weight before babies
Goal 3: 144 - weight for most of my life except when I was really working hard and strenuously                
Final Goal: 135 - It will take some work and a lot of exercise to get here but I would love it if I could one day again.    
Profile PM 
10 replies since June 25 2008,08:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic :: New Posts ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >
reply to topic new topic new poll

Quick Reply: The Behaviour of Fat Cells
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code